Lablover's Reviews > Cracked

Jun 03, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: teen-books
Read on June 03, 2012

** spoiler alert ** This book has been touted as a great book about bullying. It does give a very clear picture of what can happen to individuals when they are the pushed to the extreme of being the target of bullies, whether they be adult or peers. The author also gives a good internal perspective of what the teens are feelings as victims of their situations. This story seemed more of a lesson in "don't judge a book by its cover" than in bullying. (Maybe teens will gain some perspective from it.)I was hoping to see more of what happens within the school environment as that is where we hear about the problems occurring the most. And as an educator we are often the people who receive the blame for "allowing" the bullying to occur. (We don't allow it, our hands are tied by administrators who are will not stand up to parents.)
The two main characters are victims of a type of bullying. However, they are more victims of horrible home lives. It was not what we in educational circles have come to know as bullying in the traditional sense. Victor comes from a wealthy home, where great is never good enough. He is an unwanted eyesore on his mother's $10,000 couch. Yes, Victor is the target of Bull's physical violence, and taunts. But Bull's issues are even more a matter of his life at home. Bull is from a very poor home where alcoholism and abuse is a routine. Bull you aren't supposed to expect to be intelligent and Victor isn't supposed to have any problems at home. But underneath each person has their issues to deal with as well as their strengths. I guess I wasn't expecting such predictability because there has been so much hype about how great it is. The young adult reader will probably enjoy it. I think I was just let down by all the things I heard.
The ending seemed a bit unrealistic to me in that two teenage boys open up within a matter of days about what is going on in their lives and each one has an adult hero sweep in and start caring for them. That doesn't happen very often. It had too much of a fairy tale ending.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cracked.

12/17/2016 marked as: read