Greg's Reviews > Krampus: The Yule Lord

Krampus by Brom

Jun 02, 2012

I started Krampus with low expectations. I'd been reading a lot for work lately, and didn't have the time to read something light and fun, but then a window appeared in my reading schedule right at the time this hit my desk. Thank you, Lord Krampus, for this early Yuletide blessing!!!

Krampus could be an adjunct book to the universe of American Gods. It's hillbilly noir crossed with Pan's Labyrinth. It's as Christmassy as you can get when your protagonist is out to murder Santa Claus (as it turns out, that's pretty Christmassy). The funny is hilarious. The danger is real. And the violence is hilarious and real (I realize that makes me sound like a psychopath).

I've read a lot of great books so far this year, but none of them have been as full of pure fun as Krampus.

Make sure you read this if you like:
Neil Gaiman
Terry Pratchett
Glen Duncan
Charlaine Harris
Grimm (TV)
Once Upon A Time (TV)
Supernatural (TV)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Krampus.

Started Reading
May 31, 2012 – Finished Reading
June 2, 2012 – Shelved

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I adore Charlaine Harris but loathe Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. What to do?

Greg If you can find it cheap, I'd say give it a try. It retails for about $30 new, so that's a little steep for me to just try a thing.

It's like Harris with its backwoods seediness and sense of humour around violence (without losing the reality and danger), but unlike Harris there's no sexytime.

Plus, it's almost summer. I'd wait until at least November to get in the mood.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

That is a good idea waiting for November. I might find it at a second hand book store by then also. I have found books selling for $25.00 at Barnes and Noble for $3.00 in mint condition at the Good Will! it can be very surprising at times.

message 4: by Robyn (last edited May 06, 2014 07:17PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Robyn The library has it (if you're in Toronto) in both paper & ebook.

Courtney Cashon I picked up a copy from my library. You'd be surprised what the library carries these days. ;)