Gail Brown's Reviews > The Dovekeepers

The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman

Jun 02, 2012

I've been fascinated by the story of Masada for as long as I can remember. My husband and i visited there in the mid-seventies, and we tried to imagine what life was like for those who lived and died there. I was not familiar with Alice Hoffman but definitely attracted by the title & the cover picture. I was not impressed with Fortune's Daughter, which I read before The Dovekeepers, so wasn't sure whether I would like the book.

I was grabbed immediately by Yael's narration of her story but did get bored by the very long time spent in the wilderness and all the details of dovekeeping. I quit reading for a couple of months when I finished that part, but once I started reading Revka's story, it was hard to stop before I finally finished the book. I knew the ending, of course, but reading how the people fought to survive until the inevitability of a Roman victory was obvious, made the incredible Masada story much more credible. All the characters seemed to jump off the page (well, the screen of my iPad) as real people. I love historical fiction, especially when so well written as is The Dovekeepers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dovekeepers.