Jenny (Reading Envy)'s Reviews > The Icarus Girl

Jun 02, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: around-the-world, location-nigeria, own, read2016, speed-date
Read from January 31 to February 13, 2016

My final feelings about this book couldn't be any farther from where they started. I selected this book as one of the latest piles for a speed-dating project, and after 50 pages I wanted to put everything else aside and immerse in the story. The writing of the young girl Jessamy and her mysterious friend grabbed me - it felt new, different, fresh.

Somehow along the way it grew tiresome. I think perhaps the idea made a better short story and it just seemed stretched out, the ending was not very satisfying, and it could have been handled better. Still a promising debut from an author I continue to hear great things about, and I'm looking forward to reading her more recent works. She was only 18 years old when this was published!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Icarus Girl.

01/23/2016 marked as: speed-dating
01/31/2016 marked as: currently-reading
01/31/2016 page 75
21.0% "Started this for a speed-dating project and couldn't wait to get back to it! http://readingenvy.blogspot.com/2016/..."
02/12/2016 page 200
56.0% "Slow going because I read before bed and usually the book falls to the floor before I finish a chapter. #lifewithdogs"
02/13/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by poingu (new)

poingu I feel that way with so many debut novels--extremely excited and then something falls flat in the middle. Most recently with Wreck and Order by Hannah Tennant-Moore...what a great, ruthless beginning but no follow through

message 2: by Christina (new)

Christina Pilkington I just found your podcast and really like it! About to go subscribe now :)