Laura's Reviews > The Diamond

The Diamond by Julie Baumgold

Jun 02, 2012

bookshelves: hf-napoleonic-era, historical-fiction, french-revolution, read-2012
Recommended to Laura by: Dawn (& Ron)

This is the story of the Regent diamond, one of the biggest in the world, which belonged to William Pitt's grandfather, Louis XIV, Luis XV, Louis XVI, and Napoleon.

This diamond was discovered in India in the end of the seventeenth century and was bought by the governor of the East India Company, Thomas Pitt.

It was his son who brought it to London where a Jewish diamond cutter took two years in order to shape it in one the greatest gems that ever existed.

The narrator of this story is the Count Las Cases who starts to write the Diamond's story while he was living on Saint Helena where he was writing the memoirs of Napoleon exiled life.

Detail of Napoleon's portrait with sword:

As a historical background, the reader can follow the French revolution period, the death of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette, Napoleon’s coronation as emperor of the new empire and his marriage with Josephine and later on, with Marie Louise.

The Regent Diamond is now safely displayed in the Louvre.

As a first novel, a delightful reading by Julie Baumgold.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Diamond.

June 2, 2012 – Shelved
June 30, 2012 – Shelved as: read-2012
June 30, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments (showing 1-6)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 6: by Wanda (new)

Wanda How is it, Laura? I have the ebook version and have not read it yet?

Laura Excellent, a plot captivating with plenty of interesting historical background.

Dawn (& Ron) Laura, I just found out that you read and liked this book as much as I did! I don't understand why this book has been so overlooked. Hopefully we can tempt a few others to give it a try.

Laura I've never heard about this book before you mentioned it. That is why I love GR, we are always discovering new tittles and great readings every day. Thanks for sharing this great book Dawn.

Dawn (& Ron) I was shocked when I entered this book and saw that none of you HF fans had read this book and then how few have read it over all. Let's hope we bring a few more to this book.

I loved tracing the diamond through the paintings. Even though my copy had black and white images of the paintings I had to go look them up to see them in their full glory. I'm glad you added the close up of the Napoleon painting, don't know why I didn't include any.

Laura A fasciniting story of the Regent Diamond, loved it.