Doreen's Reviews > Thud!

Thud! by Terry Pratchett

Jun 02, 2012

Read from June 02 to 04, 2012

This is the third Terry Pratchett book I've read, and the first that a) wasn't a children's novel, and b) was part of his Discworld series. I feel that I've significantly short-changed myself by not getting around to reading his works sooner. Mr Pratchett has an extraordinary talent for writing sharp satire that masquerades as comic fantasy, and Thud! is no exception. There are so many topics that he broaches so well, but the only one I think relevant for this review is the matter of the Summoning Dark and its effect on Sam Vimes. To a certain extent, the theme of self-restraint runs very much through this book, from Vimes' own struggles, to the introduction of Lance Constable Sally (the vampire,) to Brick's withdrawal, and, of course, to the matter of the troll-dwarf wars. Mr Pratchett argues for self-discipline and restraint in a way that is so humane and funny that you don't even realize he's imparting a very moral lesson till the book is over. Even then, you're glad for it and wish for more.

The only bit that didn't ring with authenticity for me was towards the end, when Vimes was in the cave yelling out the text of Where's My Cow? Perhaps I missed whatever special effect allowed for young Sam to pick up on it. Regardless, that's an extremely tiny nitpick in what's a really good book. Looking forward to reading more of his stuff from here on in.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thud!.

06/02/2012 page 43
11.0% "It is really strange that I've come so lately to Pratchett."