Kristin's Reviews > It's Trevor Noah: Born a Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood

It's Trevor Noah by Trevor Noah

bookshelves: autobiography, humor, memoir, race, racism, growing-up, books-for-middle-grades, kid-friendly-books
Read 2 times. Last read June 2020.

This was such an enjoyable, easy read. But don't mistake that fact for the book being shallow. There were wonderful, often hilarious, stories interspersed with difficult social situations and heartbreaking racism. Trevor Noah does an amazing job splicing the complexities of South Africa society with the innocence of childhood.

I read the young reader's version so I could preview it for my daughter, but there is also a version for adults (from what I understand, there isn't much difference with the exception of changing a few things to be more kids friendly).

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and finally got my daughter (11) to start reading it. She's been really enjoying it as well.

Honestly, reading the entire book is worth it just to read the story about the dance performance and the kid nicknamed "Hitler." I was laughing so hard I was in tears. Close runner up: the poop demon. Absolutely hysterical.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It's Trevor Noah.

Finished Reading