John-Michael Lelievre's Reviews > Grubane

Grubane by Karl Drinkwater

The second novella in the "Lost Solace" series, by Karl Drinkwater, this time, focusing on Major Grubane. If you are unfamiliar with the character, he is a bit of a fan favourite from Book #1. If you haven't read it, this novella certainly isn't a bad place to start to whet your whistle for the series either!

Essentially, this serves as a bit of a prequel, and appetizer for what happens later in the series. Major Grubane, and the UFS Aurikaa, are under orders by the "UFS" (Unified Front Systems, a kind of extra-planetary authoritarian regime) to bring a not so co-operative planet to heel. At first, thinking it's a diplomatic mission, he soon realizes he may have to essentially commit genocide on a planetary scale to demand co-operation and obedience.

But Grubane may have some tricks up his sleeve, he's been studying an age old game called "Chess", here, Drinkwater masterfully intertwines the plot of the novella, and the philosophy and tactics of Chess, to create an overall narrative that is positively charged with intrigue, and as many twists and turns as you could ask for.

The characterization of Grubane is fantastic, and everything I came to expect from the short time we got to know him in the first book of the series. The A.I., "Aurikaa12" that features prominently in this novella is also a highlight, if you have read any of the series before, you know how outstanding the human/A.I. interaction is.

I highly recommend giving this one a read, whether you are a fan of military, sci-fi, or even philosophical fiction. I found it immensely enjoyable!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grubane.

June 26, 2020 – Started Reading