Melissa's Reviews > Bitterblue

Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore

bookshelves: ah-deadly, young-adults-these-days, she-and-or-they-but-not-he, this-is-a-reread-fool

Hell. Yes. I've been waiting for this book to be published for ages & it was worth every moment of that wait. There are ciphers & creepy journals & a hidden resistance movement to teach people to read & a snarky librarian & a lot of well-done insight into the best bad guy ever, King Leck, & a castle full of secret passages & spies & Bitterblue! There's a love story kind-of-triangle thing going on (because there is totally something going on with Giddon, right?) but it's handled with tact & genuine feeling & none of the usual torn whining that plagues YA books. Thank goodness I had the day off & the boy went to his grandma's, so all that was required of me was to keep supplied with cups of tea and just read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bitterblue.

Started Reading
May 1, 2012 – Finished Reading
June 2, 2012 – Shelved
June 2, 2012 – Shelved as: ah-deadly
June 2, 2012 – Shelved as: young-adults-these-days
November 20, 2014 – Shelved as: she-and-or-they-but-not-he
February 21, 2018 – Shelved as: this-is-a-reread-fool

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by Kelly (new)

Kelly oooo I can't wait!! I LOVE SECRET PASSAGES.

A tea filled reading day sounds fab.

Melissa It was loooovvveelllly. It's been a such long time since I was able to/wanted to have a tea filled reading day.

Grace There was TOTALLY something with Giddon. Maybe? I think there was...

Melissa There was totally something with Giddon, I'm sure of it now. Glad that I wasn't the only one to pick up on it!

Grace To be honest, I didn't really connect to the romance with Saf, but I was ALL over Giddon in this.

Melissa I just reread Graceling & I HATED Giddon in that one (as you're meant to, I guess), but I was also all over him in Bitterblue.

Grace I love that about Kashore. I think a big part of her writing is about how people honestly change. Like, REALLY, deeply change. Which is a hopeful and uncomfortable truth.