Joan Reeves's Reviews > Roadside Crosses

Roadside Crosses by Jeffery Deaver

Jun 02, 2012

bookshelves: joan-s-keeper-shelf, mystery-thriller

Techno Savvy Thriller

Just let me say that I've been a fan of Mr. Deaver's books since The Blue Nowhere, still one of my favorite books.

Mr. Deaver is a former journalist and lawyer. His bio says he's also a former folk singer. (Was there anyone who was a teen in the 60s who didn't fancy a career as the next Peter, Paul, or Mary?). His books have hit the best seller lists around the world, and he's a perennially nominated author and winner of the awards that honor his type of books.

Again, Mr. Deaver explores our emerging technological environment that's changing the way we work and spend our leisure time. This book is all about the synthetic world that some perceive as more real than true reality. Most of you know about Second Life, now the Internet's largest user-created, 3D virtual world community. That's synthetic life.

You've all seen those Roadside Crosses that dot the landscape. Sometimes you probably wondered what happened at a shrine dotted with dead flowers and a weather-bedraggled teddy bear. In Mr. Deaver's latest book, an entry in the Kathryn Dance series, roadside crosses start appearing, and then a murder is committed at that site within the next few days. How creepy is that?

Heroine Kathryn Dance of the California Bureau of Investigation, an organization most of America is now familiar with thanks to TVs The Mentalist, finds herself wading into the world of social networking and blogs to find the truth. I don't want to spoil the read if you haven't picked up this gripping tale yet. Suffice it to say that you'll find yourself nodding in agreement as Dance discovers how addictive and invasive technology has become.

One thing I like is that Mr. Deaver writes good women characters who are strong and smart. None of the running women who twist an ankle and fall so the villain can capture, torment, and kill. Intelligent, in other words, like the women I know. Be warned. This is one of those that will make you stay awake turning pages.

You won't be disappointed by this techno-savvy thriller, and you may well be surprised by the final twist.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Roadside Crosses.

David While the tech stuff in this magazine were very interesting the rest of the novel was a bust for me. The initial premise was good, but the book was overly convoluted and the sub-plots just did not work.

Joan Reeves Hi, David,

Thank you for commenting. Book taste is subjective that's why one book may speak to a reader but leave another reader uninvolved. That's a good thing for authors since we depend on our books interesting enough readers to make a living.