Kent's Reviews > The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution

The Greatest Show on Earth by Richard Dawkins

M 50x66
Jun 02, 2012

bookshelves: evolution

Interestingly, this book was kind of recommended in a review on an "ID the Future" podcast (ID = Intelligent Design, an anti-evolution position). Granted, they did not recommend it because it was a good book to learn about evolution. In part, this book came off the heels of _The God Delusion_ so they emphasized that it was NOT an attack on Christianity or religion. But they also pointed out (favorably) that, in the book, you could feel the child-like delight that Dawkins felt for the natural world. This is very true. One reason that they could (indirectly) recommend it, though, is that they say it didn't really present the case ~FOR~ evolution, as the subtitle promised to do. This I can't agree with; the book did do a good job of presenting convincing evidence for evolution.

I loved the book. I'm writing this review about 2 years after reading the book. But, as I recall, Dawkins presents numerous examples that DO clearly present ~how~ the process of evolution works and DOES provide solid evidence that evolution ~is~ the best explanation for the history of life on Earth. I'm not sure what the ID people were thinking (or reading) when they said that book doesn't discuss evidence for evolution.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Greatest Show on Earth.