Angie Lisle's Reviews > Songs for the New Depression

Songs for the New Depression by Kergan Edwards-Stout

We meet the main character, Gabe, at the end of his life, after he has contracted HIV and faces the imminent threat of death.

Gabe is flawed - he admits that but, as the story unfolds, it's revealed that he's neurotic and possibly suffering from (in my not so professional opinion) histrionic personality disorder. Because of this, he makes decisions that have a large impact on, not only himself, but everyone around him.

The events that shaped Gabe are slowly revealed with excellent foreshadowing that keep readers enthralled with the train-wreck of Gabe's life. Edwards-Stout utilizes the full range of human emotions to draw readers into Gabe.

We see how this personality disorder starts to develop when a young Gabe, realizing he is gay, begins to think of himself as 'different.' This idea starts with society's reaction to him, rather than being something he has always known.

This book challenges the idea that mental disorders are inherent to homosexuality by showing how the links between homosexuality and mental disorders are forged - this personality disorder was shaped and developed by forces outside of Gabe's control when he was young. Gabe is only human and it is this feature that endears him to the reader, even when he makes bad decisions that ultimately end his life.

I received a free copy of this book from Goodreads First Reads.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Songs for the New Depression.

Quotes Angie Liked

Kergan Edwards-Stout
“Upon reflection, I realize that your image of me right now might be a bit skewed. Actually, kind of fucked. I am neither a nihilist, inordinately depressed, nor jaded. Though I can be and have been all of the above, and fully expect to be again.”

Kergan Edwards-Stout
“...if God is a man, I am screwed, for there is nothing men like more than to show their omnipotence over others, leaving in their path only scorched earth.”

Kergan Edwards-Stout
“...flaky, crisp, layered, and multi-textured. Which was me. Sweet and sour. Soft and crisp. I discovered that these varied elements, that for so long had seemed at odds, were actually complementary.”

Kergan Edwards-Stout
“God lifts us up a level, so that we are more than mere animals clawing about for our next meal. God desires us to talk, to laugh, to cry, argue, think, fuck, decide, and take action. It is his will; all of it. We need God. Especially when we think we don't.”

Kergan Edwards-Stout
“...I believe that God requires nothing of us. There is no entrance fee or requirement for participation. He is there already, inside each of us, if only we'd stop and listen.”

June 1, 2012 – Shelved
August 22, 2012 – Started Reading
August 22, 2012 –
page 7
2.78% "This is one of those books that feels really good. I don't know what the cover is made from but it's nice, almost leathery, in my hands."
page 43