KJ's Reviews > The Turk and My Mother

The Turk and My Mother by Mary Helen Stefaniak

bookshelves: 50-books-a-year-2012

I really enjoyed this book but strangely enough I had a bit of dread and/or anxiety when I was about to read it. Without getting into too much detail and spoiling it, it was anxiety causing as you were worried that the various love affairs/true matches, etc, were not going to work out. I LOVED that at every turn there was a truth behind what was on the surface. It was amazing how it was so tangled and yet so simple and fun to figure out. There were a few matches that I barely picked up on, which makes me wonder if I missed others when I was really tired and reading - though I don't believe I did as I got all of the characters' background stories now. There were times when it could have been depressing (when the couples who were truly in love never got to live together happily ever after, etc) but for whatever reason, it wasn't REALLY depressing. The author did a good job of moving it along so you didn't feel down. Really good read and I highly recommend it for anyone who likes a sort of social mystery.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Turk and My Mother.

June 1, 2012 – Started Reading