preppea's Reviews > Rainshadow Road

Rainshadow Road by Lisa Kleypas

Jun 01, 2012

bookshelves: first-read-giveaway, contemporary, romance, zz-reviewed

I won Rainshadow Road as part of a first reads giveaway and I'm so glad I did - this was my first Lisa Kleypas read but certainly not my last. I loved so many things about this story; Lisa Kleypas does an amazing job of portraying the multi-dimensional emotions of sibling relationships - as an older sister I immediately found myself relating to the frustrations Lucy went through as she watched her parents cater to her younger sibling, Alice, as they grew up and the way this only reinforced her sisters' beliefs that she could have and deserved whatever she wanted.

Even when I wasn't reading the book, my thoughts kept going back to how selfish Alice was and how frustrating her lack of remorse - and I only liked the book more for the way it presented Alice so unapologetically because it added to the honesty and rawness of the story. I felt like Lisa Kleypas did a great job in directing each of her characters' actions in a realistic and believable way - from the reactions of Lucy's parents to Alice's betrayal, to the way Lucy continues to be hurt by Alice's betrayal long after Kevin's betrayal has lost its sting, and especially how Sam handles Kevin's request for him to pursue Lucy. (view spoiler) I also liked Lucy's approach to Sam's fear of commitment; everyone wants to be the one girl who changes the man, but her belief that he would never change for her made me like her even more.

The only thing I questioned in the story was the magic aspect - I wasn't quite sure how that fit into the genre or the type of book I thought I was reading - and I'm not sure if it added anything significant to the story as a whole. But it also didn't detract from the story and all in all I can't imagine a way this love story could have been any better - I loved every second of Lucy and Sam's journey -even the parts that I loved to hate.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rainshadow Road.