Meg's Reviews > Definitely Dead

Jun 01, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: women-supernatural
Read in May, 2012

** spoiler alert ** This felt like one of the weaker novels in the Sookie Stackhouse series. I'm not sure what it was, but this one just didn't hold my attention the same way other novels have.

I think a lot of it is that she introduced a lot of world elements that she wants to do something with later. A wedding, a vampire conference, and a new roommate for Sookie were all introduced in this book. Nothing done with them, just introduced, tossed out there as a teaser of things to come. But what actually came out of this book was... not a lot.

We got to see the romance with Quinn develop. Which is currently boring and too perfect. The guy is a damn were-tiger, you would think this would keep things a bit more interesting.

We met the Queen of Louisiana... who... we apparently met before? That's another thing that bothers me a bit. Having shorter works outside of the novels that tie in is pretty cool. Referencing those things is fine, but I was rather thrown by the sudden introduction of elements and entire characters that I had no idea who they were. Hell, one of the major plot points of this book (the death of Hadley) took place in another story entirely.

And we get Amelia, who doesn't really feel like much of a character in this book. I didn't feel like the relationship between Amelia and Sookie was well fleshed out either.

Oh, and we have the (hopefully) final wrap up of what happened with Debbie Pelt. And about damn time! For a dead woman, her plot thread just wouldn't die!

But the thing that bothers me is that it takes us ages to get to Louisiana. It's not until Chapter 11, over a hundred pages in, that going to New Orleans becomes a major point. For all most of the action happens there, a lot of random things have to happen first.

This whole novel felt tacked together, like the boring middle bit of a book that has to happen so that we can get from the cool stuff at the beginning to the cool stuff at the end. Except it was an entire book of boring middle stuff.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Definitely Dead.