Mike's Reviews > The Things They Carried

The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien

Jun 01, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: kindle-books, fiction

This book actually deserves 2 1/2 stars but that isn't an option. It was better than okay but I didn't really like it. I am not sure if this is an autobiographical piece or a work of fiction, and that is a bigger problem than you might think. I was never sure if the things the author wrote about happened or are just products of his imagination. My other problem is with the way the story unfolds. It is a lot like listening to a very young child, albeit one with a big vocabulary. There is no rhyme or reason as to where he will go next. He just wanders through stories, frequently referencing things that haven't happened yet as if we were supposed to know about them already. He also really only recounts about 3 stories, he just retells them over and over.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Things They Carried.

June 1, 2012 – Shelved
June 24, 2012 –
page 65
June 27, 2012 – Shelved as: fiction
June 27, 2012 – Finished Reading

message 1: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl According to wikipedia:

"While apparently based on some of O'Brien's own experiences, the title page refers to the book as 'a work of fiction'" and "Even though the characters are based on a work of fiction, they show similarities to real soldiers that O'Brien knew during his time in the war."

Mike I know, but the things I have read about it, and actually from parts of the book, it implies that it is based on his experiences. It lingers somewhere between fiction and non-fiction.