PointyEars42's Reviews > Riveted

Riveted by Meljean Brook

4.5 Stars. I had to put the book down every few chapters to catch my breath and let the "OMG I LOVE THIS BOOK" sqee-ing die down before I could read further. I don't even know if I have the words to describe how much I enjoyed Riveted.

I've seen a few complaints about the slower pace of the book, but that was one of the aspects I loved most. Meljean Brook has - as she did with Heart of Steel- written something wildly different from the previous installation in the Iron Seas series. Instead of another fast, swash-buckling adventure we have this gradually unfolding plot and a hesitant romance that is entirely in keeping with the leads' characters and histories. We have a cooler, low-key story to match the vast, cold landscapes they look out on - both the story and the geography moving at literally a glacial pace interrupted by occasional volcanic eruptions.

David is very much a hero - a beautiful, intelligent, sensitive one - and as with Archimedes in the previous book, we're given all of the masculinity and saving the day without the stunted emotions and thinly-veiled mysogeny most alpha heroes display. Annika is a joy to read, and makes me despair of the lack of similar heroines in other books I've read. To know your worth and to refuse to settle; to accept being alone because you're waiting for the right person to come along; to swallow your fears and set of on a quest to right a wrong you committed without drowning in bitterness or regret... she really is a cut above the romance heroines I usually come across. They come together as strong, mature adults who deserve the happiness and acceptance they find in each other. If I had to manufacture a complaint about this book, it would be that it was 500 pages too short for the sort of drawn-out, reluctant, stumbling-into-love that they would have engaged in if it hadn't been for the action scenes pushing the book along.

Physical disabilities and sexual preference are handled creatively and sensibly, both in how it shapes the characters' personalities and how it plays out in the world they live in. I am now twice as eager for Scarsdale's novel/novella in 2013 now that I know it will be well handled and not used as the titillating token gay story in the series.

I can't recommend this highly enough and I hope that there are novellas or short stories released so that we can keep in touch with David & Annika.

{Posted on seeing the US cover before I read the book: Oh pretty, pretty please tell me his metal hand doubles as the kind of toy Mina's mother would have made. Can't wait! (Excerpt on the author's site is delicious)}
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Riveted.