Celia's Reviews > Blackout

Blackout by Mira Grant

liked it
bookshelves: trilogy, sci-fi, 2012-books, dystopian

I'm considering my rating for this final book in the trilogy - which of course I had to read, even though I was a bit ambivilent about Deadline. Where Feed (by far my favourite and most well crafted of the series) was narrated by Georgia, and Deadline by (a really annoying) Sean, in Blackout Georgia and Sean exchange chapters of narration, doing their too-witty-to-live thing which is one of McGuire/Grant's favourite character quirks. Everyone in Blackout seems to spend most of their time in witty banter.

Sean's narration in Deadline irritated me, and was slightly better in Blackout - at least he's stopped narrating every sip of coke he takes. But he's still going on and on and on about the fact that he hears and sees Georgia, and has made the decision to "go crazy". This is never really resolved - even though it's acknowledged that at a certain point in the story there's no need for him to be crazy anymore, it's not very clear how he stops. It's all a bit convenient.

(view spoiler)

While Blackout is very readable and exciting and easy to race through, it's not without quite a few flaws (pointless action sequences that pad out the length, a fairly unbelievable conspiracy theory - which relies on our protagonist bloggers being, like, totally indispensibly awesome journalists, which - heh). So, only three stars despite the fact that I enjoyed it a lot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blackout.