Sophie Friedland's Reviews > Summerland

Summerland by Michael Chabon

F 50x66
May 31, 2012

bookshelves: 4th-quarter

I read and reviewed this book for 4th quarter.

I really liked this book! It is so easy to picture in my head and even though it is a long book, the author did a great job writing it because I never got bored. Also, this is probably one of the best sports books I've read.

Summerland is a fiction/sports book about a boy named Ethan. The book takes place in the summertime on Clam Island, Washington and all Ethan's father wants him to do is play baseball. But Ethan is not good at baseball. Ethan's best friend is a girl named Jennifer T. Rideout. Jennifer T. Rideout goes by the name "Jennifer T." She loves baseball! Throughout the book, Ethan and his father go to a lot of baseball games and Ethan does not get any better at baseball. But along the way he meets really strange creatures. During one of his games, Ethan ran to get a baseball that was hit out of the park. But when he runs past some bushes he meets a creature who he thinks looks like a fox, but it also walks like a monkey. Then Ethan found out that it really was a African Bushbaby. Ethan meets many other strange creatures like the bushbaby throughout the story. Some of them include a Sasquatch,a werefox, and he also has to defeat giants and bat-winged goblins. Ethan goes through so much in the book and I think that there should be a sequel!

All in all, this book was good. I can relate to this book because like Ethan, I don't really like baseball. I'm not good at it...I like to watch it, but I can't really play. But unlike Ethan, I have never come across so many creatures. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes sports and fiction at the same time. It was a good but long read but it is worth it to read this book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Summerland.