J.M.'s Reviews > Different Seasons

Sep 28, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: anthologies, speculative-fiction
Read from November 27 to 30, 2012

This collection of four novellas is an excellent example of Stephen King's work. My favorite is "The Body," which most people know as the basis for the 80's movie, "Stand By Me." I started reading King in the 6th grade, and after I fell in love with that movie, I walked the 1½ miles to my local library just to read the story that inspired it.

Another favorite of mine was "Breathing Lessons." It's usually overlooked by anyone other than a die-hard King fan, but it captures perfectly the chilling way his characters tell a story within his own tale. He uses the same method in "From a Buick 8" and "The Colorado Kid," and I always enjoy hearing the characters come to life.

"Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption" is classic King ~ not because it's horror (which it isn't) but because of the way he draws the characters so vividly. He can craft believable characters in a short amount of space, and this story showcases that talent well.

The only story I couldn't finish was "Apt Pupil." I was all right with it up to the scene with the cat, and I stopped reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Different Seasons.