Tracy's Reviews > Fury

May 31, 2012

bookshelves: coming-of-age, young-adult, my-copy
Read from May 31 to June 01, 2012

WTF happened????!!

First of all this book was riveting. At first I wasn't sure I would like it, Eliza Boans is a spoiled brat/mean girl. I didn't go to a fancy high school as described in the book and we surely didn't have very much money but there are mean girls everywhere and my high school was no exception. For the first few pages I really disliked her but she started to grow on me. Even though the entire book is telling the story of how Eliza Boans and her friends came to murder someone I started to care about this spoiled girl. I could see how she had been let down by every single adult in her life from her absolute tool of a mother to her clueless, ineffectual teachers and principal (don't even get me started on the gossipy guidance counselor who should be fired from her job and never allowed to work with children again). I could see how even very privileged young women could find themselves in a terrible situation and so very vulnerable that it hurt me. Although in my head I kept thinking that Eliza, Lexi and Marianne should have gone to the police after the events of Jane Ayres' birthday party I could understand why they didn't. I mean why should these girls trust any adults at all. No wonder thing turned out so badly. And that lovely moment when her mother picks her up from the police station, "I didn't expect her to cradle my face in her hands and kiss me hard on the forehead". I start thinking maybe her fucking bitch of a mother isn't so bad, I mean she's been hurt too in the past and maybe she just has poor coping skills.

I was wrong.

The ending left me feeling GUTTED. I felt like someone kicked my legs out from under me and left me gasping on the floor. Ouch. I wanted to give this book five stars. I gave it four because I'm so pissed off. But then...on reflection...I think it deserves five stars because of that ending. Kudos to Shirley Marr for making me care so much for someone I could never have been friends with and then ripping it all away from you in the end. It was kind of brilliant.

P.S. The cover is gorgeous.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fury.

05/31/2012 page 106
38.0% "So far it's a pretty quick read. I disliked Eliza quite a bit the first few pages but she is really growing on me. Preloved was a confection, sweet and delicate and wistful. Fury is a whole other ball of wax. It is dark and complicated. I am so tempted to read ahead, I don't even know yet who was murdered. But I am restraining myself. I want the story to unfold as it should."
08/23/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Richard (new)

Richard Derus Heh. A high-quality read is one that makes you feel betrayed when a character dies.

Tracy It isn't even that. She doesn't. It's almost worse.

message 3: by Richard (new)

Richard Derus *gaaaak*

Note to self: Avoid this book like it's got cooties

message 4: by Tracy (last edited Jun 01, 2012 08:59AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tracy lol..it's a really good book...I finished it off in five hours....but that ending...it hurt

message 5: by Richard (new)

Richard Derus Cooties! Cooties!

Tracy OMG...you make me laugh so hard....

message 7: by Richard (new)

Richard Derus [image error]

message 8: by Carol. (new)

Carol. *hands Richard the cootie catcher*

Kaethe So glad to see it wasn't just me who felt that way at the end.

Tracy I know. Part of me was angry and the other part of me thought it was brilliant and honest. An entitled sixteen year old just doesn't change that fast. But I hated her mother.

message 11: by Steph (last edited Jun 01, 2012 11:34AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Steph Sinclair Great review! Yes, that ending! I wanted to shake Eliza through most of the book, but then I wanted to hug her. Curse Marr for leaving me so conflicted. XD

Tracy I know.

Bidisha One of my favourite books from last year. And Eliza Boans is in my top 5 YA characters ever. Like, seriously. THAT girl.

Tracy I know. But damn.