La Petite Américaine's Reviews > The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher: A Shocking Murder and the Undoing of a Great Victorian Detective

The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher by Kate Summerscale

Sep 28, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: meh-whatever, i-want-my-money-back
Read in February, 2009

Like most people, I bought this book because I was intrigued by the true story of murder in a good Victorian family, and the detective mystery that followed.

I didn't pay for 200 pages of what read like some friggin mediocre senior honors thesis. I don't care about how the murder turned up in Wiklie Collins, I don't care what Dickens thought about the crime, I don't care which novels it inspired. This book was just saturated with end-notes, footnotes, and quotes ... not that they were distracting from the story itself. There just wasn't any real story here, and the comparisons to literature and all extras are filler.

The best parts of the book deal with the actual crime and the suspects -- probably a total of 90 un-put-downable pages. The rest? ZZZzzzzZZZZZzzzz....

Any more like this and I'll be creating an "I want my money back" shelf.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher.

02/24/2009 page 125
34.72% "Twisted. Can't put it down."
03/05/2016 marked as: read

La Petite Américaine Hmmm ... I'll have to make one.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Lol love the new bookshelf =D

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda dalon it's so sad because the summary does make it sound appealing, thanks for the input

message 4: by Nicole (new) - added it

Nicole I just started reading this book a few days ago when I was on a trip from CA to PA and back. Not kidding, I'm still on page 57. I can NOT get into it...yet it seems like such a great idea! Sad. I may have to put this down. Kaysha, should I keep reading or just toss in the "never finished" bin?

La Petite Américaine I can tell you who did it in about 5 seconds. The rest is just boring footnotes that make it sound like a rejected dissertation. Stop reading.