Sharleen Jonsson's Reviews > The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business

The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg

F 50x66
May 31, 2012

As a rule, I don't read self-help books and this isn't one — though you could certainly use some of the information in it to help change your own habits.

Duhigg gives us social science explanations for why we do what we do over and over and over again. This is interesting enough, and if you have any habits you want to change, you'll probably find his description of the "habit loop" very useful. I'd give this part of the book a 3 out of 5. The book itself is also well-organized – "habit" is a big topic and the author makes it easier for us to follow by presenting his material in three sections: the habits of individuals, organizations and societies.

Where Duhigg excels is storytelling. I couldn't put down the story of coach Tony Dungy even though I am not remotely interesting in football. While I felt that calling some of the behaviors in the last two sections (organizations and societies) "habits" was too much of a stretch, the stories here are still compelling.

I'd give this book a 4.5 if we had that option.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Power of Habit.