Chantal's Reviews > Never Eat Alone: And Other Secrets to Success, One Relationship at a Time

Never Eat Alone by Keith Ferrazzi

I sat through a brilliant networking lecture a few months ago and I kept thinking about how much more good you can do in the world if you have built relationships with people. The lecture really got me thinking about the value of building relationships with others in order to better serve them. I taught a lesson about it at church...and got such a dead response. After the lesson, a friend suggested this book that he had previously read and brought it by for me to read. I spent the next week devouring it. It seemed to be a culmination of everything I'd been learning about and thinking about up to this point. It mentioned several characters (Benjamin Franklin) and books (How to Win Friends and Influence People) that I just love.

I thought the author had many valid points. It seems to be human nature that if you help people, they will help you. Give, and you get, or so my life experience has taught me. The book seems to follow in a similar style to How to Win Friends and Influence People, which gives you a selfish reason to be nice, here he gives you a selfish reason to reach out, to give, to create and support communities. Ultimately, I think these principles are intrinsically good. They bear value even if there is nothing in it for the giver.

Both books have manipulative undertones. I've come to realize, however, that saying 'look at all the good you'll generate by living by these principles' isn't as persuasive as 'look at how much money you can make or how loved you can be by living these principles'. Humans are generally motivated by 'how will this benefit me'. Thus, even though he often discussed the non-altruistic side of networking, I still think his book is effective in both persuading and teaching readers to network more, and more effectively.

My take home lesson was - get more involved. And I will.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Never Eat Alone.

Finished Reading
September 27, 2008 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Steven (new) - added it

Steven Dietrich This was a positively insightful review, one for which I was hunting to motivate me to read this: Ferrazzi's 'Never Eat Alone.'