Laura Jeanne's Reviews > Playing Dead

Playing Dead by Julia Heaberlin

May 31, 2012

liked it
Read from May 31 to June 12, 2012

Overall a very good page turner. The plot is a little complicated, but she tyes everything up nicely in the end.

The author should have done a little more research on rodeos. The main character was injured when an "eight hundred pound steer stomped on my wrist 14 years ago in a rodeo arena in Lubbock, TX knocking me from the pedastal of my saddle into mortality."

First off, NO ONE rides steers. Men ride bulls, but women don't. And never with a saddle. She mentions this throughout the book and it bothered me every time. Women don't ride bulls. Especially in college. She says "a year later... I couldn't swing a rope'. It would have been very easy to have her injured in a roping event. Somewhere in the book she mentioned the character had dated a "Goat Roper". There is no such thing in rodeo and goat tying is a women's event.

This is probably nit picking, but since my daughter is in the Intercollegiate Rodeo Association and is on a rodeo team near Lubbock, it kind of hit home.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Playing Dead.

Connie I live in Texas and have heard many folks using the term "goat roper." In my experience, it means "redneck".

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann H. I'm from West Texas, too. Goat roper is a sarcastic term we used in talking about people who wore all the western garb, but really weren't cowboys. It's kind of like the saying "all hat and no cattle".

message 3: by Candace (new) - added it

Candace I haven't read the book yet, but after reading the sentence about the bull knocking her off the saddle, I took it as off the saddle of her *horse.*

message 4: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Grossi I know how those kind of details can ruin a book. I get the same way when something I know well is misrepresented. Throws the whole story off for me.