Sandra's Reviews > Blackbringer

Blackbringer by Laini Taylor

May 30, 2012

Read from May 30 to June 15, 2012

I grew up with Disney versions of the famous Grimm collection of fairytales. Color, imagery, whimsey melded into a tapestry of beauty. I especially loved Fantasia and as an adult still love it. Blackbringer brings Fantasia to mind. Faeries, whimsical crows, impish imps, delightful crows that sing, dance. love and fight to save their world. All make for a reading experience that it just that - an experience.

Faeries. Magpie Windwitch comes from dreams, she's made from the fabric of dreams and woven into the tapestry of Dreamdark, the forest filled with all creatures bright, fanciful, dangerous and dark. It's the tiny, lovely form of Magppie whose delicate shoulders bear the fierceness of love and her destiny to save her world and those she cherishes.

I can't say too much about the plot as it's a simple one. Dark forces gather to eradicate all that is beautiful and free. One small creature delves into her newly discovered magical powers to prevent what seems inevitable. This plot is not complex but the beauty of the language and the philosophy of faith and holding tight to dreams greater than oneself guide you into a land that is Fantasia put to words.

Magpie comes to understand the depth and meaning of creation through learning that the literal tapestry of life is "energy . . . that's all around us? Like a river." And like a river this tale flows into a beautiful tale that left me thinking how much I loved the book but frustrated with my inability to explain in simple words how it touched me as deeply as it did.

The best way to state the thoughtful and lovely quality of the book comes from Magpie's mind as she contemplates what makes the impossible possible. "Love. She'd always thought of love as . . . affection, the look that passed often between her parents or the feel of their arms around her. But wasn't it this too, the core of iron in someone's soul that made them capable of impossible things? it seemed a terrifying force."

This then is the lyrical force of Blackbringer: whimsical creatures, another world within our world and a novel that moves like a symphony.

Found within the pages are beautiful pen and ink illustrations by Jim Di Bartolo that appear like gifts wrapped among the pages of the book. They're detailed and intricate. It's easy to immerse yourself in the beauty of words artistically blended to inspire the pen to create visual art as well.

One caution! I couldn't read Blackbringer quickly. I became lost in the imagery and color that flashed before my eyes as I brought words into my mind, therefore creating my own version of a Fantasia like tale. Laini Taylor's work will give you a unique reading, one that I feel confident will vary greatly from reader to reader.

I wrote an extended review of this book for Clear Eyes, Full Shelves.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blackbringer.

05/30/2012 page 24
5.0% "I've wanted to find a book I could lose myself in, one with beautiful images, language and a metaphysical beauty. As soon as I read the first paragraph, I knew I'd found just that. The final sentence in the prologue had me! " So much depends on this tiny faerie whom dreams had at last made real." Magpie Windwitch, a whimsical and tough faerie will lead me through the pages with imagery to beguile the senses." 2 comments
06/01/2012 page 57
13.0% "I've always loved Disney's Fantasia. In the book world, Blackbringer can be compared to it. The plot's developing but as much as anything is the experience of the imagery. "The moonlit Gardens were the faeries' next world, a clam silvered land . . ." Love getting lost in the beauty of language."
06/07/2012 page 259
59.0% "The imagery and color are beautiful. This book's difficult to write about as it's more of an experience. The plot simple but the execution is not. Magpie, the faerie who does not realize her own powers, finds herself experiencing abilities that seem to come from nowhere. I see Magpie as a savior or Christ-like figure who hold's the fate of Blackbringer on her petite yet strong shoulders. "Dreams spun in fire...""

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Laini Taylor is such an incredible writer.

Sandra I already agree with you and I'm only 5% through the book. I woke up early this morning, am on my way to fix coffee and will take it, me and the book to the couch to curl up and indulge in some great writing/reading!