Tom's Reviews > Zemsta

Zemsta by Victoria  Brown

2051472
May 30, 2012

bookshelves: first-reads

I received this novel as an ARC from Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

The novel is set the early 1900s in Ohio, detailing the lives of 4 kids from childhood who grow up together, dealing with the effects of a tragedy that befalls one of their family members and how they come together for Zemsta. I won't give away the meaning of the word and spoil the plot but it ties the novel together well.

The novel is well-written, detailing the lifestyles typical of lower-middle class Americans of the time period, along with their cultural beliefs, which were much stronger back then before so many generations had passed from when their ancestors had come over from their native lands. Ms. Brown obviously did a fair amount of research to try and accurately portray how life was back then, and her efforts show in the details, providing a rich background for her characters to shine in.

I would heartily recommend this book for reading. While the story will definitely appeal to readers who like fiction with some historical context, it's just a good story period. On occassion, I felt the narrative was a little distant from the characters, but overall, the reader will come to like the depictions of the "good guys" and root for them to succeed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zemsta.