Janene's Reviews > Where Did I Come From?

Where Did I Come From? by Peter Mayle

May 30, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: picture-book

Heard about this as a recommendation from the Eyres on a good jumping off place for the TALK with your kids. I've loved lots of their parenting advice and books, so I was expecting just the book I would want. Ummmmm. Not even close. I returned it to the library the very next day. There must be a better way to talk to my children about sex without a picture book with alarming naked cartoon parents. And not just on one page. I am hoping for open conversations and want to be ready when my child has questions, but this is definitely not the approach I want to take. I guess it all depends on the parent and in what manner they want to introduce things.

Take my review or leave it. This may have some of the WORDS that would be helpful, but sharing this book with my children did not at all feel right to me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where Did I Come From?.

message 1: by AnnMarie (new)

AnnMarie I agree. This one was not my favorite. We chose one called What's the Big Secret by Laurie Krasny Brown and Mark Brown for a picture book. We found it at Barnes and Noble. I took a sharpie and blacked out the sentence or two about things that weren't quite with our values. Another one I LOVE is Growing Up by Brad Wilcox. This one is great for teens and preteens. I will read through the chapters that apply at the appropriate times/ages with my kids. Found this one at Deseret Book in the Teens books (not the self-help where I looked countless times before asking for help).

message 2: by AnnMarie (new)

AnnMarie so I spelled the names wrong. It's Laurene and Marc. I let my sister borrow the book and she read me the names over the phone...

Charlie AnnMarie wrote: "I agree. This one was not my favorite. We chose one called What's the Big Secret by Laurie Krasny Brown and Mark Brown for a picture book. We found it at Barnes and Noble. I took a sharpie and ..."

Out of interest, what did you black out? I'm surprised that a kids ed book on sex would be that shocking . . .

message 4: by AnnMarie (new)

AnnMarie the masturbation part. It says "Some of us try this; some of us don't. However, it's best to do this private kind of touching off by yourself."

I didn't really black it out. I put an X in the book by that part to remind me to improvise when reading it with my kids.

And believe me there are some VERY shocking kids sex ed books out there. This one is a good one though.

Charlie AnnMarie wrote: "the masturbation part. It says "Some of us try this; some of us don't. However, it's best to do this private kind of touching off by yourself."

I didn't really black it out. I put an X in the bo..."

Really?? O.o To be honest, if masturbation isn't 'with your values', I'm not surprised you find other books shocking. I'm pretty surprised you survived the Internet though!