CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian's Reviews > Written in the Stars

Written in the Stars by Alexandria Bellefleur

liked it
bookshelves: romance, queer, contemporary, bisexual, lesbian, american, own, fiction

A swoony, cute, and sexy contemporary romance about a messy, bi, boxed wine drinking social media astrologer and an uptight $56 dollar a glass chardonnay drinking lesbian actuary with trust issues. I am so excited about the mainstream f/f romances coming out lately!

This one is a very loose Pride and Prejudice retelling and also features a fake relationship, one of my favourite tropes. It's very recognizably set in Seattle, which I think must be really fun if you live there or know the city well.

It's winter holidays-ish but not exactly a holiday romance. It takes place over American Thanksgiving and ending on Christmas Eve. I also appreciated how even though both Darcy and Elle have shitty moms and some issues with their families, homophobia or biphobia are not part of the problem at all.

But the story does feel queer specific in a few ways, especially when Elle was telling Darcy how she used to "heterotextualize" situations in the past that were definitely not just "gals being pals." I love those kind of touches that feel #OwnVoices.

I do think the book could have used another once over with a copy editor for some repetitive word choice and a continuity error, plus I would have liked more variety between the two major sex scenes. Not that they're not hot--they definitely are--but they're also basically the same scene with the same sexy actions except with the women's roles reversed.

I also wanted a bit more of a drawn out ending or maybe an epilogue; I wanted Darcy to work for it a bit more and for the ending to feel less abrupt.

And last but certainly not least, this book is hopelessly white. In my memory, characters' physical descriptions never include race or ethnicity, and it is never noted in any other way such as with characters' names. The author may have even intended a supporting character or two to be people of colour (Elle's BFF Margot would have been an obvious choice) but if she did, she did not make it clear, and that starts with acknowledging when people are white and not constructing it as the norm!

It left a kind of bad taste in my mouth at how the book seems to assume the reader will read everyone as white (if anyone read any of the secondary characters as non-white, I would love to know!). It's just not good writing to set a story in a contemporary multicultural city and not explicitly include people of colour! Again, better editing could have caught this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Written in the Stars.

June 17, 2020 – Shelved
January 6, 2021 – Shelved as: fiction
January 9, 2021 – Started Reading
January 9, 2021 –
page 61
15.89% "Too often mainstream wlw romances are kind of desexualized, and I love how sexy the attraction between Darcy and Elle in this book is already. ("For a moment, Darcy wondered what Elle would look like, sweat dripping down that bare expanse of neck, her back bowing against Darcy's sheets.") 🔥💦👭"
January 9, 2021 –
page 75
19.53% ""And I may be a single woman in possession of a good fortune, but I am not in want of a wife."
🤣🤣🤣"
January 11, 2021 –
page 249
64.84% "I might need a cold shower after that sex scene..."
January 12, 2021 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Sodapop I don’t know why but I pictured Darcy’s ex fiancé as a POC. But besides that, there just weren’t so many side characters in general. It would be nice for Margot to be one, she was awesome

Sydney This is basically my exact review 😂 it needed more editing, the characters were biting the inside of their mouth like every page, & just some repetition that read a bit intro level