Pete's Reviews > Batman, Volume 1: The Court of Owls

Batman, Volume 1 by Scott Snyder

May 30, 2012

Read from May 30 to June 05, 2012

I'm not well versed in the history and lore of The Batman. Most of my knowledge comes from the movies and fleeting encounters with JLA based animated movies. I knew The Dark Knight was a great character but the idea of wading into the series after seventy plus years of history was slightly too daunting for me. So when I found out about the 'New 52' universe reset I fell into the 'that's a great idea' camp.

Fast forward a bit and here we have Volume 1 (the first seven issues) of his rebirth. There are nods to things I guess we all take for granted as part of the history of Bruce Wayne, his parents are still dead, he still inherited a business empire and all the money that goes along with it and he still has Alfred, his butler.

The story and artwork are exquisit, both of which almost give Batman the feel of a supporting actor to the central star of the piece, Gotham City. His exploits feel as though they are a game that is being played on the board that is Gotham. A board that was there long before Bruce Wayne and his money and will still be there long after Batman and his sense of justice. His foe(s) have being playing their game for much longer and the threat not only feels credible but I found myself rooting for Batman, not just because he's the good guy of the piece, but because he feels like the underdog.

The hard back issue I have does have a couple of issues, namely the loss of some of the artwork/text into the spine of the book.

The only other 'negative' point I have is that because I like to read my stories in bigger chunks I am going to have to wait sometime for Volume 2 to arrive, and it ended on a cliff hanger!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Batman, Volume 1.