Rebecca's Reviews > Trash

Trash by Andy Mulligan

F 50x66
May 30, 2012

Trash starts out very hard to understand. It switches back and forth between the three boys without letting you know, so it was easy to get confused as to who was speaking at the time. You had to reread sometimes in order to understand for sure who just said what. One of the things that I didn’t like was that the location of the boys was never given. You understood that they lived in a poor, third-world country, but were not given a specific place until after finishing the book. Although the book is fictional, the details throughout it are very realistic. The author uses his traveling experiences to incorporate the real-life details into his fictional story very well. I wouldn’t recommend this book for too young of a reader due to the details and story plot given. The details are pretty graphic and allow the reader to envision the poverty that is being lived in. Therefore, the reader needs to be able to understand the severity of poverty and what it really is. I would most likely assign this book to readers who are in the 8th or 9th grade. I think it would really make a good incoming freshman read for high schools due to its underlying messages and real-life story telling.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trash.