Lacy's Reviews > The Other Queen

Sep 27, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: 2008, historicalfiction, fiction
Read in September, 2008

Phillippa Gregory novels are sort of my secret shame - I love her books and pretty much devour them as soon as they come out. This one was...well, it was just okay. The historical focus(Mary Queen of Scots) is intriguing, but...I felt like it was sort of just..meh, as Gregory basically gave Mary no personality other than her bizarre obsession with freedom (honestly, the character must have said (or had commented about her) that she "had to be free" about 95 times. I GET IT, okay?) and did a lot of telling not showing (Mary is beautiful, therefore everyone loves her and wants to serve her? Everyone can see that she "has to be free" so they want to help her?)

It was really more like a succession of plot points than a novel, in many places, which was annoying. Also I think Gregory has GOT to get away from this switching narrative perspectives every chapter that she started in "The Boleyn Inheritance." It's such a cop-out, and it makes the story so much less cohesive. SHOW me the character development rather than have characters just tell me the same thing over and over.

Still, it's a fun ride, but it's no where near a good as some of her other novels. If you're looking for The Other Boleyn Girl again, this isn't it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Other Queen.

message 1: by Efe (new) - rated it 3 stars

Efe I totally agree. I got so exhausted hearing all about how Mary must be free. Enough already.

Brittany B. Great review! Though I did like the Boleyn Inheritance. Many of Gregory's books have fallen short for me. But I still read them.... My secret shame too :) :)