Richard Hayes's Reviews > Talisman of El

M 50x66
May 30, 2012

liked it
Read from May 30 to June 03, 2012

Note: I received this book from the author/publisher. All that was asked was an honest review.

It is books like this that I wish I could give partial stars as this book deserves better than 3 stars but because of problems I couldn't give it 4 stars. It starts off with Derkein Odessa hearing a noise and finding his father, who he hadn't seen for a long time in the study. Why talking they hear a crash and his father gives him a talisman and they are attacked by a force they can't see. His father disappears and he is injured. Then we see Charlie Blank settling into his new home with Jacob Willoughby after being in a group home after losing his parents and I am wondering how did we get here but set the feeling aside as it was just the start of the book and figured just setting up the characters. We follow Charlie as he starts school and on his first day on the bus he meets Alex, a girl who sides with him as he stands up to bullies bothering another kid. While putting his suitcase in a closet he finds a hidden room which has jewels in it and we later find Jacob is a thief in addition to being an undertaker who robs the homes of people he just buried and he intends to make Charlie his helper. Charlie runs away for the first try and on the second he runs into Richmond, a kid who is also robbing the home. He and Alex spot Richmond and follow him to a rundown shack where who shows up bu Derkein. After talking with him they start to search for Arcadia, a mythical land where perhaps Derkein can find the cure to whatever has caused him to age so fast that although he is only 26 he looks 50. Finding a doorway they enter Arcadia to find out it is the home of angels. They have many adventures and as the story is flowing good, all of a sudden we are back with Charlie in a group home and no idea of how he got there.

This was one of the main problems I had with this book and what kept it from be rated higher. The reader would be going along with the story and something would happen and you would have no idea how or why. Many times I went back to see if I had missed something only to see that I hadn't. The author failed to set up or keep the story flowing and a few times jumped into a different situation with no reason why. If she had just kept the story flowing a little better it would have earned 4 starts instead of 3.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Talisman of El.