Stephanie's Reviews > Little White Lies

Little White Lies by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

liked it
bookshelves: 2018, contemporary, mystery-thriller, ya-fiction, young-adult

Sawyer Taft is used to being on her own--her mother will take off at times, leaving her alone. When her mother is off on one of these side trips, Sawyer's grandmother walks back into her life and offers her a free ride to college. The catch, she has to come live with her and participate in the debutante season. Wanting to go to college, this seems like a manageable deal to Sawyer plus it would give her a chance to figure out who her father actually is since her mother ran away pregnant during her own debutante season. What ensues is ruffle dresses, gloves, polite small talk combined with not only the mystery of who her father is, but Sawyer ends up helping out her fellow debutante cousin and two others with a mystery that could end up bringing down one of the well to do families.

I found this an enjoyable contemporary with a bit of mystery and intrigue rolled into the package. I really like that Sawyer is snarky and independent--and for the most part keeps that as she rubs elbows with the elite families. I like that she grows as a person over the course of meeting and living with a side of the family she has never known.

I find that I could easily recommend this to a range of readers in my library. I do appreciate the short chapters--I have students that need short chapters so they feel like the can accomplish bigger books in smaller pieces, especially given this book is almost 400 pages (390 to be exact). Snarky girls, a bit of a homage to mean girls, the little overcoming the mighty, and a glitzy side of life many of us do not have access to are more things I can pitch to some of my readers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little White Lies.

Started Reading