Ruthsic's Reviews > Kakuriyo: Bed Breakfast for Spirits, Vol. 6

Kakuriyo by Waco Ioka

7220682
Warnings: child neglect, starvation, abduction

Okay, I checked and I had read the last volume (#5) a year ago, and oh my, I have missed this cast, especially Ginji! Yes, this particular part of the story is already in the anime, but I love the manga a lot, too, for its pretty art style, and all the deliciousness! In this book, Aoi goes to the Eastern Lands for the imported foods market (which mainly means food from Utsushiyo) and she is abducted by a stranger and then left in a storeroom. While she is saved thanks to the pendant from Odanna by which he finds her, she has lost valuable time which she needed for the food prep for the royal's anniversary dinner, not to mention being confined in a watery storehouse has sapped her strength.

Our heroine, however, has the savvy to cook up a menu of simpler dishes, which evoke nostalgia of Utsushiyo in the royals' heart. Most of the storyline in this book is about her cooking up and serving the dinner, and the royal's reaction to it, but to the fair, it itself is so interesting - I loved the way she made changes to the dishes to reflect her dual experiences and ingredients, and created a hearty dinner in what was basically crunch time. I keep wishing the artwork was in color, if at least for the food parts, because even in black and white they look gorgeous and in color they would be stunning. Other than that, a couple of new characters show up who will become important soon; I can't wait for the Southern Lands arc!

Received an advance reader copy in exchange for a fair review from Viz Media LLC, via Edelweiss.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kakuriyo.

June 16, 2020 – Shelved