Jeff Terry's Reviews > Big Lizard: A Novel

Big Lizard by Joe R. Lansdale

Fantastic funny fast read.

The first Lansdale book I read was The Drive In and I loved it. Just crazy funny horror. And while this has many of those same vibes, it also feels like a supernatural superhero origin story.

Look, I'm not going to write the plot summary here since that's already available to you, but I can verify that what was said in there is accurate in the book and it's fun when you experience all that.

Now I know this book involved Keith Lansdale as well but he must have kept right up there with his dad. It still had that folksy-in-the-face-of-horror tone that comes with Joe's books. Maybe Keith wrote the lizard parts and Joe wrote the Buster parts? Whatever Keith did, it worked! And now I want to buy into the Pick-a-Chicken franchise. Or at least get one of those chicken hats.

There's an incredibly enjoyable story here with just enough of whatever you want. Including a big lizard penis.

I read this as an ARC from SST for an honest review. And it didn't include any of the artwork so I'm a little sad about that. Knowing the effort Paul Fry at SST puts into his editions, I can only imagine how awesome it will be to read this book with all the bells and whistles--not that I expect the finished book to make any sounds because that would suck, to read stories around loud sudden noises and alerts and what not.

If you're a Lansdale fan this is a must-own.
If you're an admirer of great editions, this is a must-own.
If you want to read about people transforming into something other than wolves, this is a must-own.
If you like your cultural sarcasm spread evenly on a delicious piece of fiction, you need this book.

Great story. Only wish there was more of it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Big Lizard.

June 16, 2020 – Started Reading