Badass Bloggettes's Reviews > Why Mermaids Sing

Why Mermaids Sing by C.S. Harris

Why Mermaids Sing is the third book in the Sebastian St. Cyr series. Sebastian St. Cyr, Viscount Devlin is the only living son of an aristocratic family. His friend, Magistrate Lovejoy asks for Sebastian’s help to solve the gruesome murders of young men of high-ranking families. Lovejoy is leery that he will have the access to the people with the answers.

The setting for this series is early 1800 London during the Regency period. The class system plays a very important role in daily life, which causes the magistrate pause. He knows that his position can be replaced if he ruffles the wrong feathers.

The murder is tightly wound around a group of men who refuse to share what they know or do not know about the reasons behind the brutal slayings. Harris throws out a lot of clues for the reader, but they are not always easy to follow. The twists and turns with the unexpected reveals are amazing. What an excellent storyteller she is.

After each book I become a bigger fan of this series, as well as the writing. C.S. Harris does an excellent job developing these characters. Each book peels away more layers, revealing the strengths, secrets, and weakness of the recurring characters. Each character has their own appeal, both good and bad. They are fascinating to say the least. There are characters that run the gambit from good to evil including some that are questionable at this point. In each book, Harris takes us down the roads and neighborhoods of London so clearly it an experience to slip inside the world of the haves and the have nots of this era.

I am getting very attached to Tom, Sebastian’s groom. It is lovely how Sebastian took this boy off the street to help him make something better of his life. Tom is becoming a surrogate son to Sebastian in many ways. His interactions with Sebastian add another level to the story. The recurring characters hit every good and bad quality we find in the real people in everyday life.

I can't wait to get to the next book. I have a feeling that I will come back to this book/series again in the future. Why Mermaid Sing is another must read. I don’t know how anyone can start this series and not want to continue.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why Mermaids Sing.

June 1, 2020 – Started Reading