Elven's Reviews > The Eye of the World

The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan

U 50x66

liked it

So as everyone knows , Wheel of Time has depended rather heavily on Tolkien (I don't mind reading Tolkien inspired books . I read them when I miss Tolkien's works . To get a fresh perspective and different characters and ideas while maintaining the Tolkien-ish feel , like Eragon does) .
Jordan himself has admitted . After all , as Tom Shippey said , "no modern writer of epic fantasy has managed to escape the mark of Tolkien, no matter how hard many of them have tried" . So in addition to respecting his talent I respect him for admitting it ( Like C.S.Lewis wrote as a note to his Space Trilogy "Certain slighting references to earlier stories of this type which will be found in the following pages have been put there for purely dramatic purposes. The author would be sorry if any reader supposed he was too stupid to have enjoyed Mr H. G. Wells's fantasies or too ungrateful to acknowledge his debt to them." ) . Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery .

So there isn't really any problem . So why do some WOT fans turn on Tolkien ? It hurts us precious . So here's what I think about what they say .

Yes , Tolkien himself was inspired by works like Beowulf . But in Tolkien's works we only get reflections of how much he liked those works . We only feel the general aura of those works in his books . Otherwise Tokien's works are most creative and original and he has a style of his own . We can't even blame Tolkien for that aura of Beowulf because it was Tolkien , his arguments and essays that made the world look at Beowulf as a serious work rather than a mere childish tale .

Another group say that Jordan's works rival that of Tolkien . Just because Jordan takes Tolkien's works , adds some sparkles and presents it doesn't mean it rivals Tolkien's work , because without it those added sparkles would be meaningless .

So in conclusion , if you are new to fantasy , this book can give you a fine taste of it , and if you are a Tolkien fan who craves for more Tolkien-ish feeling tales , you won't be dissapointed either .

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Eye of the World.

Finished Reading