Maria's Reviews > Tell a Thousand Lies

7208222
May 30, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: 2012

I was a little hesitant with starting to read this book...I was a little unsure how I'd like it. It was a little outside of my comfort zone with the books I like to read. Once I got started, it was on!

Let me say that while reading this book, I could really picture myself in rural India. THe author did a great job of using imagery without being blantanly descriptive. I could actually picture the house with the courtyard, the heat of the day (I imagine how hot it gets in Texas and then multipled that by 100), and what the characters looked like.

I felt the story was a little drawn out. I'm not sure if this was b/c of my irritation with the story line or just that I felt like I was reading it forever. It really irritated me that Pullamma got so close to her happiness - even being there at one point - and then having it taken away from her just like that. Throughout this story I REALLY wanted her to be happy and when she was I felt happy right there with her. Then out of nowhere BAM! I felt hurt and sad right with her.

So, I did love that the author could make me feel with the character. My emotions went up and down just as the characters did. Not many books can do this for me.

I also learned quite a bit about the indian culture and a lot of the way women were treated and some still are today makes me angry. I also really loved when Pullamma started coming out of her shell, I love that she finally started standing up for herself.

I am very happy with the way the book ended, I just wish it had gotten there sooner.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tell a Thousand Lies.

May 30, 2012 – Started Reading