Carol's Reviews > When in Doubt, Add Butter

When in Doubt, Add Butter by Beth Harbison

May 30, 2012

I have enjoyed other books by author, Beth Harbison, so I was really excited when I learned that I had won an advanced reading copy of When in Doubt, Add Butter as part of the Goodreads First Read contest.

When in Doubt, Add Butter by Beth Harbison is the story of Gemma Craig, a personal chef in the Washington, D.C. area. After mustering the courage, Gemma has quit her corporate job for one she loves: cooking. Her job takes her into the homes and lives of several people, each who have preferences she must cater to and personal issues she tries to avoid becoming involved in. Along the way, Gemma has a few surprises pop up that change the course of her life both professionally and personally.

This book is an overall entertaining read. There are serious parts interspersed with laugh out loud moments. It was light hearted, yet realistic. Ms. Harbison created characters who are varying and bursting with personality. I enjoyed this book very much! The only thing I can think of that might have made it better would be for her to have included a few of Gemma's delicious sounding recipes for me to try at home. I am looking forward to Beth Harbison's next book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When in Doubt, Add Butter.

May 30, 2012 – Started Reading