Jackie Mceachern's Reviews > The House I Loved

The House I Loved by Tatiana de Rosnay

May 30, 2012

Read from May 30 to June 06, 2012

The House I Loved by Tatiana de Rosnay was a very quick read that I found very touching. It takes place in Paris in the late 1800s during a period in which the city was being completely redesigned. As a result of this, many families were forced from their homes as existing streets were completely demolished in the wake of new ones. This book tells the story of one woman - Rose Bazelet - and the pain she feels over losing her home. I love history and really love when I learn something new from a historical point of view when reading a work of fiction. I wasn't really familiar at all with this part of Paris history so I enjoyed learning about it.

This book explores the idea of how much our family homes can mean to us, especially if one's family has lived in one home for generations. It also examines the idea of change and progress and the costs extracted for it. I think this is a theme that likely resonantes with me more as I get older. I'm in my mid-forties now and I have enough life perspective to see that all change - even good and necessary change - comes with a price. Sometimes the price for a specific individual is too high even if the overall benefit for society as a whole is deemed to be worth it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House I Loved.