Haya's Reviews > Prelude: & Other Stories

Prelude by Grace Kwan

Prelude and Other Stories quickly became one of my favourite books of the year! The writing style alone will make you fall in love with this book. The authors way of describing everything is a perfect example of how to be descriptive without being boring, from talking about the weather to the small details in her surroundings she manages to transport you into the scene you’re reading.

Every time I read a chapter about her as a child it just made me feel soft!! Like in chapters Prelude and Delphine! I especially loved two chapters, Joey’s Interlude, and A Tomboys’s Aria. It’s hard choosing favourites because all of them showed you a different side of the authors life and none of the chapters were dull.

I loved the way the author talked about Bisexuality and the small interactions with others like her asking her friend “Who would you date if you were a boy”. Those two chapters (A Tomboy’s Aria and Lakeside Bible Camp) but especially Lakeside Bible Camp really showed the confusion, or denial maybe, that queer kids have in an environment where they’re being told that being gay is wrong and unnatural.

The book dealt with issues such as racism, sexuality, immigration, and family in a way where it didn’t feel overwhelming but it was still emotional and moving. I just loved the book and writing and stories and just everything about it and can’t wait to read Grace’s next book!!!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prelude.

Finished Reading