megs_bookrack's Reviews > Gilded Serpent

Gilded Serpent by Danielle L. Jensen

bookshelves: arcs-read

Gilded Serpent is the third installment in Danielle L. Jensen's Dark Shores series.

Coming in at just under 600-pages, Jensen packed a lot of new information into this one, as well as action and startling revelations.

With this series, if you aren't aware, you can read the first two books in any order. Meaning you can read either Dark Shores, or Dark Skies first.

I personally read them in publication order and would recommend that to others.

I felt like Dark Shores established the setting and functionality of the world perfectly. After reading that one, I had a strong hold on the type of series this was going to turn out to be.

It's one that channels all the brutality of Ancient Rome, mixed with a fair amount of magic and heavy doses of political intrigue. Also, let's not forget the sweet romance.

In Dark Shores, the action centers around Teriana and Marcus, while Dark Skies follows Lydia and Killian.

Gilded Serpent follows all four of these characters, as their storylines begin to merge.

Through the first two books, I became quite attached to all four of these main characters. Because of that, my excitement level for this release was heightened even more.

As I have mentioned in my previous reviews for this series, including the prequel, Tarnished Empire, I love this series and think it is incredibly underrated. All YA Fantasy lovers need to check this one out!

I did rate this book slightly lower than the first two books, mainly because it wasn't as easy for me to follow, or stay as fully engaged with this one.

I think the length started to get to me, as well as the sheer volume of information that Jensen packed into this one. Also, I did have some issues at the beginning remembering what had happened at the conclusion of the first two books.

While I recognize that as a 'me' problem, I also feel an author including slight, subtle recaps is always helpful. I didn't feel a lot of that here.

Regardless of that fact, however, I still really enjoyed my time reading this novel. The world continues to be built out. It's dangerous, complex and full of compelling people, creatures and history.

I am really looking forward to the next book in this series. I am planning to do myself a favor and binge read the first three again prior to picking it up.

Thank you to the publisher, Tor Teen, for making my dreams come true and providing me with a copy to read and review.

I truly appreciate it and will be singing this series praises for a long time to come!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gilded Serpent.

June 13, 2020 – Shelved
June 13, 2020 – Shelved as: to-read
April 23, 2021 – Shelved as: to-read
May 16, 2021 – Started Reading
page 18
3.13% "I sort of have no recollection of the end of Dark Skies...
Probably should have refreshed my memory prior to starting this!"
May 18, 2021 –
50.0% "Reunited and it feels so gooooood...
If I were Lydia, I would never leave Killian's side again.
Lucky girl :)"
May 19, 2021 –
56.0% "I take back everything I said in my last status update.
Killian is now being a big jerk!
He better snap out of it pronto!"
May 19, 2021 –
May 20, 2021 –
May 20, 2021 – Shelved as: arcs-read
May 20, 2021 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

message 1: by TMR (new) - added it

TMR Yay.

megs_bookrack TMR wrote: "Yay." So excited. I love this series.

message 3: by Joanne (new)

Joanne I loved the first book can't wait for this one.

megs_bookrack Joanne wrote: "I loved the first book can't wait for this one."
The second book is ever better, Joanne. Have you read that one yet? I know, I am soooo excited to continue on with this series. It's getting super dark!

message 5: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Oh seems I have not I thought I had. I'll add that to my list now. I love a great series

megs_bookrack Joanne wrote: "Oh seems I have not I thought I had. I'll add that to my list now. I love a great series"
You definitely should!! Enjoy~

message 7: by Simone (new) - added it

Simone I can't wait for it to be back on Netgalley. I looooved the first 2 and can't wait for the 3rd one. The funny thing is that I got the first one simply because of the gorgeous cover and what a fantastic cover buy this was!!!!

megs_bookrack Simone wrote: "I can't wait for it to be back on Netgalley. I looooved the first 2 and can't wait for the 3rd one. The funny thing is that I got the first one simply because of the gorgeous cover and what a fanta..."Yesss, I did the same. The first pull was the cover, but I was surprised by how much I became invested in the story. I loved how the first and second books were told, and now, having everyone together for the third book! My head may explode!

message 9: by Simone (last edited Oct 15, 2020 08:49AM) (new) - added it

Simone megs_bookrack wrote: "Simone wrote: "I can't wait for it to be back on Netgalley. I looooved the first 2 and can't wait for the 3rd one. The funny thing is that I got the first one simply because of the gorgeous cover a..."
OMG, YES!!!!! All of them in one book??? Are you kidding me????!!! I usually stay away from any novels that have the MPG Romance here on GR. I steer away from them like a vampire would avoid garlic lol. But Teriana and Marcus, the chemistry, the back and forth "love me, love me not." I couldn't get enough.

megs_bookrack Simone wrote: "megs_bookrack wrote: "Simone wrote: "I can't wait for it to be back on Netgalley. I looooved the first 2 and can't wait for the 3rd one. The funny thing is that I got the first one simply because o..." Teriana and Marcus...yes! Their relationship is so well done. Looking forward to the becoming and entire squad and Lydia and Teriana being reunited :)

Steven When you finish this, you will be amazing at your gif-fortune-telling abilities.

megs_bookrack Steven wrote: "When you finish this, you will be amazing at your gif-fortune-telling abilities." Hahahahaaaa, I hope so, Steven! I can't wait to start!!!