Ezinwanyi's Reviews > Guilty Pleasures

Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton

it was ok
bookshelves: paranormal-romance, shapeshifters, urban-fantasy, vampires, zombies, werewolves

I have heard about this series as one of the best books in PNR/UF genre. So I avoided it like the plague. A lot of those popular series have a lot of hype and they never live up it. Well this book was one of the pleasant surprises. Guilty Pleasures was engrossing from the first chapter.

Anita Blake, the vampire hunter, was a confident and capable heroine. She lived in St. Louis, Missouri where vampirism was legal. In fact, they were so immersed in society that they had their own churches, strip clubs etc. Anita was a police liaison, working with the Supernatural Division. Someone one was killing vampires and Anita was assisting the police in their investigation into the murders. The Vampires were nervous because the murderer was slaughtering Vampire Masters, so it was clear that the killer was powerful. Nicholaos, a thousand year old yet pubescent vampire, demanded Anita find the killer or she will kill those important to Anita. Nicholaos sent Jean-Claude, third ranked master, to make Anita agree to solve the crimes, but Jean-Claude became intrigued with Anita. This is where things got really interesting. The action scenes became non-stop and Anita began juggling her murder investigation with struggling to keep Nicholaos from killing her friends. Expect a lot of twist and turns in this one!

One of the things I liked about Anita was her wit. She has a sarcastic wit that made me chuckle often. She was strong and resourceful. I wished that there were more scenes with Jean-Claude in this book, but I realize that the author was probably building up her world first. I expect their relationship will grow more and thus more of Anita & Jean Claude in book 2. The author created an interesting world, and I will definitely read book 2.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guilty Pleasures.

May 29, 2012 – Started Reading
May 29, 2012 – Shelved
May 29, 2012 –
0.0% "Listening to this one. I am giving audiobooks a 2nd shot"
May 31, 2012 –
0.0% "the lady who is reading this book, Kimberly Alexis, is awesome"
June 1, 2012 – Shelved as: paranormal-romance
June 1, 2012 – Shelved as: shapeshifters
June 1, 2012 – Shelved as: urban-fantasy
June 1, 2012 – Shelved as: vampires
June 1, 2012 – Shelved as: zombies
June 1, 2012 – Shelved as: werewolves
June 1, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen I'm curious. . . Why did you give this book only two stars? Your review reads like you really enjoyed it, so what went wrong that made you rate it two stars?

⚜️Trea The series doesn't live up to this potential. Everything before Obsidian Butterfly is decent, though you can start to see the downfall in the 2-3 books that lead up to Butterfly. After Butterfly is nothing more than Anita's bed having a revolving door, with a constant stream of visitors. I'm no prude by any means, but even I gave up on the series by Micah!

Ezinwanyi Jen wrote: "I'm curious. . . Why did you give this book only two stars? Your review reads like you really enjoyed it, so what went wrong that made you rate it two stars?"

I actually think that was a mistake. I don't know but I liked the story

message 4: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen I really liked the first few in the series, and then it plummeted downhill. :(

Ezinwanyi Kathleen wrote: "I really liked the first few in the series, and then it plummeted downhill. :("

Completely agree