Paula Griffith's Reviews > One Moment

One Moment by Kristina McBride

May 29, 2012

Read in May, 2012

One Moment by Kristina McBride reminds readers of the first encounter with betrayal. Maggie is happy with her boyfriend, Joey, and is looking forward to spending summer with her friends. On the cusp of summer, she goes to a friend’s party and makes plans to go on a picnic at their favorite swimming hole. On a dare, Maggie decides to plunge into the river holding onto Joey’s hand, when a glimmer off a beaded bracelet sends a jolt of memory through her, an omen that things are not what they seem. Maggie comes to consciousness, shielded by forested undergrowth, Adam calling her name. Maggie knows that something horrible has happened, but she cannot remember anything after she and Joey climb onto the rocky bluff. What follows is Maggie’s slow recovery of the events of that day that would change her forever.

This is a good read to examine the dynamics of friendship. Some friends are not always friends, and it is often difficult to see the truth through what we want to believe is true. Maggie’s story is of betrayal, forgiveness, and the inevitability that life does go on and how we decide to face our challenges makes up a large part of who we are. Maggie’s journey helps us all to understand Nietzsche’s “that which does not kill us makes us stronger.” Great summer read and food for thought. Recommended for high school libraries, ages 14 and up.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Moment.