Mel's Reviews > Going Under

Going Under by Georgia Cates

May 29, 2012

liked it
Read in May, 2012

I really enjoyed the start and middle of this book - I particularly liked Payton and her snarky, funny one liners and observations. Jessie was hot as the bad boy from the wrong side of the tracks and Clare turned out to be far from the spoiled princess. The plot building was good - but it all ended abruptly... the last chapter left too many ends untied - the author added an Epilogue sometime after the initial publication due to reader demand (rather telling at all her readers felt the same - that they had been short changed) but everything was wrapped up to quickly and didn't ring true to the rest of the book - it all felt rushed and not a considered ending - everything being squeezed into the epilogue to tie it altogether.
A shame as the book showed great promise in the beginning even if the princess and the pauper theme has been done many times. The writing style was great for most of the book although I hated the way the boys were praised for beating up each other and being overprotective with their fists when it came to clare. The other violence in the book involving Jessie was more realistic and less about masculine posturing and made his world seem genuinely terrifying which gave the reader a great deal of sympathy for him even when he was being a jerk.

All in all I enjoyed the book and would recommend it if you are looking for an easy quick read - but just watch out for that ending hence only 3 stars for what could have been a 4 star book

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Going Under.