Mary Anne's Reviews > The School of Essential Ingredients

The School of Essential Ingredients by Erica Bauermeister

liked it
bookshelves: bookshelf-bitches, fiction, library

I've struggled a bit with how to rate this book. It's not something I normally would have read, though I'm extremely glad I read it.

One of the things I liked best about this book was the language. This book is about relationships and food culture. The imagery of this book was excellent, if a little over the top at times. It stayed consistent across characters, which I think was a little jarring for me at times. However, I also like that each character had a chapter. That was a clever way to organize the book and focus on the group while also shedding light on the individual lives of each of the characters. You can see how each one of the characters changes by the end of the book and how their situations shift ever so slightly (or dramatically).

Sometimes I wish there was more detail, more concrete examples, but a lot of the time, the distance and holding back of details was, in my opinion, a better idea. What really threw me off was how comfortable the characters seemed to be with food preparation. Apparently the class was very expensive, so the expectation was that people who attended were ones who were already familiar with cooking and wanted to learn more from famous Lillian. A very different kind of kitchen/food class. Cooking always seems a little more threatening to me.

Overall a short, colorful, and enjoyable read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The School of Essential Ingredients.

May 28, 2012 – Started Reading