Keri's Reviews > The Return of the Prodigal Son: A Story of Homecoming

The Return of the Prodigal Son by Henri J.M. Nouwen

May 29, 2012

Wonderful book...love Nouwen!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Return of the Prodigal Son.

Quotes Keri Liked

Henri J.M. Nouwen
“For most of my life I have struggled to find God, to know God, to love God. I have tried hard to follow the guidelines of the spiritual life—pray always, work for others, read the Scriptures—and to avoid the many temptations to dissipate myself. I have failed many times but always tried again, even when I was close to despair.

Now I wonder whether I have sufficiently realized that during all this time God has been trying to find me, to know me, and to love me. The question is not “How am I to find God?” but “How am I to let myself be found by him?” The question is not “How am I to know God?” but “How am I to let myself be known by God?” And, finally, the question is not “How am I to love God?” but “How am I to let myself be loved by God?” God is looking into the distance for me, trying to find me, and longing to bring me home.”
Henri J.M. Nouwen, The Return of the Prodigal Son: A Story of Homecoming

Henri J.M. Nouwen
“Resentment and gratitude cannot coexist, since resentment blocks the perception and experience of life as a gift. My resentment tells me that I don't receive what I deserve. It always manifests itself in envy.”
Henri J.M. Nouwen, The Return of the Prodigal Son: A Story of Homecoming

Henri J.M. Nouwen
“In the past I always thought of gratitude as a spontaneous response to the awareness of gifts received, but now I realize that gratitude can also be lived as a discipline. The discipline of gratitude is the explicit effort to acknowledge that all I am and have is given to me as a gift of love, a gift to be celebrated with joy.”
Henri J.M. Nouwen, Return of the Prodigal Son