Lisa Vegan's Reviews > The Mother Tongue: English and How It Got That Way

The Mother Tongue by Bill Bryson
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mother Tongue.

Manybooks I wonder if you would have the same negative reaction to this book as I obviously had.

message 2: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Vegan Manybooks wrote: "I wonder if you would have the same negative reaction to this book as I obviously had."

Just read your review. Yep, he can be arrogant and mean too. Sometimes I don't like him at all, but I often like the subjects he chooses and when he's not at his worst, I do sometimes find him amusing. I'm not sure what I'll think if I get to this book. I always want to like his books more than I do.

Manybooks Lisa wrote: "Manybooks wrote: "I wonder if you would have the same negative reaction to this book as I obviously had."

I think if Bryson had not cited and listed as facts so much that is actually linguistically wrong, while I still would have despised his arrogance and attitude, I probably would heave liked the book a bit better.

message 4: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Vegan That makes sense. I probably would not have caught the errors that you did, but they're enough that I might not read it. I'll leave it on my shelves though, at least for now.

Manybooks Lisa wrote: "That makes sense. I probably would not have caught the errors that you did, but they're enough that I might not read it. I'll leave it on my shelves though, at least for now."

The book is entertaining and quite a number of individuals have liked it. It just was not for me and Bryson has never really been an author for me either.

message 6: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Vegan I'm not sure he is for me either, though I keep trying.