Shealea's Reviews > The Sea of Monsters

The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan

May 28, 2012

Read on August 22, 2012

Why is it that whenever I pick up a Rick Riordan book, I find myself completely speechless. I've no idea what to say about the second book of Percy Jackson, but what I do know is that I immensely enjoyed reading it.

For the most part, things have been pretty quiet this school year and Percy even makes a new friend named Tyson, a giant of a kid who, it turns out, is actually a Cyclops and a son of Poseidon. Anyway, soon enough, monsters come in and attack the gym during a game of dodgeball and chaos ensues, and Percy learns that something terribly wrong has happened. The tree that signifies Thalia's sacrifice has been poisoned and Camp Half-Blood is no longer safe. This, of course, leads to Percy wanting to save the world his fellow demigods and everyone else. And he, together with Annabeth and Tyson, does exactly that.

... Okay, that probably didn't sound as exciting as I wanted it to, but don't get me wrong, The Sea of Monsters is just as thrilling and amusing as The Lightning Thief. If anything, this book, for me, holds more depth... and has been infused with more Greek mythology. (Read: utter awesomeness.)

Now, the low points were the lack of Grover's presence, the introduction of a character named Tantalus, and everything about Dionysus. Despite these, I breezed through the entire book, smiling and laughing at times. The beginning was all right, the middle was well-written and well-planned, and the somewhat abrupt ending just killed me in the most spectacular way!

5 stars and I'm just itching to have my hands on the next book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sea of Monsters.

Ralph Santiago :)

Stacia (the 2010 club) Aww, I love this series too!

Shealea I can't believe it took me this long to pick it up. I'm almost ashamed, haha.